Tonight I made delicious soup. I’d never tried to make chicken soup since I don’t eat meat, but, as I have previously mentioned, I really enjoy the Quorn brand fake chicken products. Anyway, I wanted soup and I was wondering around Whole Foods, so I threw some shit together (which is usually how I cook- paying almost no attention to important things like measurements and recipes) and it ended up being super delicious.
The half-assed recipe follows:
- 1 bag of Quorn fake chicken (or real chicken, I don’t give a shit what you eat!)
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 or 3 peppers (I bought a 3 pack rainbow peppers and used all of them), chopped
- 1 can Organic 365 Spicy Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can Organic 365 Spicy Black Beans, drained
- 3-4 red potatoes, chopped
- 2 cartons Everyday Organic vegetable broth
- About 1/4 green onions, chopped
- 2-4 cups of water (depending on how much soup you are making- this is really just for noodles and to taste till you like the broth)
- Paprika, Black Pepper, Cayenne Powder to taste
- Enough Extra Virgin Olive Oil to coat your pot
- 1 bag of wide noodles
Coat the bottom of whatever pot you like to make soup in (probs around 9-12qt) with just enough olive oil to cover the bottom and throw it on some medium-high heat, then add the onions, potatoes and peppers. Saute them until they begin to soften, but don’t worry about getting them golden unless you prefer a milder onion taste. Add the diced tomatoes (in their juices) to the pot and stir, then add the vegetable broth and fake chicken. Stir and add beans, green onions, and seasonings of your choice.
(You could add the water at this point, but I waited till I added the noodles because I wasn’t sure how much I needed to successfully cook the noodles.)
Leave the pot on medium-high heat and stir occasionally until the vegetables are almost where you want them, then throw in your noodles and boil them for however long the bag says or till they are the appropriate tenderness.
Serve hot, obvi. This soup is tasty in a bread bowl or without one. Enjoy!