On average, I spend about 2-3 weeks at a time in Washington, DC then return home for 2-3 weeks, then go back. During the time in DC, Nick and I enjoy making a variety of recipes– some old favorites and some new ideas. Most recently, there was a day on which we could not decide what to eat that evening. Neither of us wanted anything too heavy, but we didn’t feel like just having bread and salad, either. Then, like a unicorn comes to a fair maiden, an idea casually trotted up to me and whinnied: chicken salad. PERFECT. A deliciously light, simple recipe into which one can put pretty much anything one likes.
One might think that as a vegetarian, I am unable to enjoy the deliciousness of chicken salad, and one would be mistaken. As I have mentioned before, there is a plethora of meat substitute products that have decent nutrition and great flavor (enough even to please Nick, who is a happy meat-eater). Whether you use real chicken or fake, I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Half-assed Recipe follows:
You will need:
- 1 bag of Quorn fake chicken cutlets (they come cubed)*
- 3/4 cup Olive Oil Mayo or Fat Free Mayo
- 1 cup of dried cranberries
- 2 medium Granny Smith Apples, chopped
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
The Quorn chicken comes frozen, so I usually toss it into some boiling water until it is tender, then drain it and let it sit as I finish chopping up the other ingredients. In a large bowl, mix everything together until it is well-blended and tastes good. Depending on how many servings you want to make, you might need to adjust amounts (obvi), but also sometimes I will use less or more of the Olive Oil Mayo or add more curry powder and black pepper to taste. Cover the salad once you are satisfied it is mixed thoroughly, then set aside in the fridge until it is chilled, usually about 30-45 minutes. It’s done!
You can serve this any way you see fit, but here are some of my favorite ways:
- Fake Chicky Wrap (pictured above) – whole wheat flower tortillas taste great wrapped around this tangy/sweet combination.
- Sandwich – use a nice multigrain bread, you deserve it.
- Side dish.
- In a crispy taco shell – Really!! It’s good!
*If you want to use real chicken, I suggest going to your grocery store and buying a prepared rotisserie chicken and just using the breast meat from that. It is a good price and the chicken is perfect for this kind of recipe. Also, you’ll have plenty left for other meals.